Fussy eater, this is very common thing we often hear, it’s really not unusual for kids to be picky eaters and that picky eating habit is really a big reason for parents to be concern more and even frustrating.
A survey shows that nearly half of all kids can be described as picky eaters at one time or another during their early childhood. But, have you tried finding out what makes children fussy eaters in India?
5 reasons why kids are fussy eaters?
- They might don’t like the taste and look of the food. For example, spinach or bitter ground doesn’t impress them by the look and so their taste.
- As a parent you are scared if you say NO to their favorite food, they will throw tantrums and so you prepare their choice of meal.
- On one if hand over pampering is not a good practice and so over strictness also leads to fussy eaters, making them finish every dish from the plate and not let them enjoy the meal trend them, picky eaters.
- If your child is less active with outdoor activities it will surely affect their eating habits too. These activities make them physically fit along with increasing their motor skill and good social skills.
- One of the important reasons might be your child is going through a growth circle, when they really get picky, fluctuate in their choices of food.
10 tips to handle these fussy or picky eaters
I always mentioned that parenting is not a rocket science, but yes few tips and tricks help us to be in happy parenting. These tips will help you to handle the kids tantrums and picky eating habit.
- Reframe your quotes: We, often tell kids that “broccoli is healthy food” and “cookies are yummy”. Don’t label food like this as it will pass on the message that broccoli is healthy but not tasty, then how you expect kids to enjoy their meals full of vegetables and fruits.
Make sure to let them know every food is good and serve different needs of the body.
- Be a role model: Even you as a person must have your own preferences when comes to food. If you don’t want to eat bottle gourd(Lauki) but you want your child to finish it.
This will never happen as kids learn a lot from their parents. So, be a role model for your child and behave the same way around the food as you want your kid to respond.
- Give ONLY one meal option: Never prepare a separate meal for your kids and yourself. Cook the same meal for the entire family which will help them to understand the value of food and even learn to eat what is served on a plate.
- Offer Variety: Noone likes monotonous life and food, you need to add more variety to your food and meal. Make sure to add a twist to your meals once in a week so that they look up for that day and enjoy every day’s meal.
- Serve with style: Plating simple food also with some fun and style will make them more interested in eating. Colorful paratha’s (Green with Spinach, red with beetroot), creating some art with rice and other stuff will add fun and more interesting for them to eat.
- Mealtime should be family time: Make sure everyone has a meal together without mobiles, newspapers, or anything else. This way they will learn to enjoy meals together and eating themselves. Around the dining table, you have to focus on creating memories for life.
- Serve Small portion: This is really going to help you in two ways, one no wastage of food, and kids will learn eating everything. I always do this, I serve my kids every dish with salad and curd all in small portions which helped me to make him understand and enjoy all together.
- Involve them: Yes, this is one of the most amazing things to do with kids, involve them, tell them to come along with you for vegetable shopping, let them pick up their favorite vegetable,s and cook that for dinner.
Even ask their help in cooking, peeling vegetables and other stuff, you will find them happy and enjoy eating too.
- Respect your kid’s taste: There are so many things I don’t like to eat but now my little one enjoys. Eating poori with aamras, Paratha with Kheer and so many are his choice of taste. Respect that, let them relish that.
- Supplements help: These picky eaters if still avoid eating well, do add supplements like Pediasure which have 37 vital nutrients to boost a child’s growth. I am regularly giving this to my son which supports brain development, immunity, height, and weight, and given me #FirstStepToGrowRight.
Conclusion: Don’t take stress too much if your efforts are not working 100%, allow them to take little time, and adjust to new tastes. But, if your kid has really extreme reactions to food consult your pediatrician they will guide you in this difficult issue.