Being the mother of two munchkins one thing which matters to me a lot is my kid’s health and their activeness. With growing illness by Influenza, it is important to take care of your kid’s right from the beginning.
Have you ever thought what exactly Influenza is? I asked this to my Mommy friends and as expected they seemed to be unaware of what exactly it is.
Influenza Virus causes flu which is a contagious respiratory illness that infects the nose, throat, and lungs.
I still remember Swine flu (A/H1N1) was much talked about flu in between and caused so much harm.
With little precaution of taking flu shots and maintaining hygiene, we can save our kids and ourselves from the Flu.
At a recent event on influenza awareness, Dr. Mukesh Gupta (Gynaecologist) and Dr. Uday Pai (Pediatrician) spoke at length about the illness and educating all mothers on taking better precautions
Genelia Deshmukh, a fine actress from Bollywood fraternity and a mother of two cute kids too was present and shared her experience to mentioning that “We treated influenza as a common cold, we realized these two are very different. All mothers must go meet your pediatricians, gynecologist and get all questions answered about flu and staying protected with vaccination.”
Influenza spreads faster than we think
- You will be surprised to know that it spreads even if you are 6 feet away from people who are suffering from flu, majorly when they cough and sneeze.
- Apart from this, it is widely spread by touching infected surfaces like tables, books, door knobs, currency notes or even a handshake with a flu-infected person whose hands were probably infected after covering mouth while sneezing or coughing.
Three categories of people are more sensitive and more prone to getting Flu infected- Babies, Pregnant lady and senior citizen who can get affected faster than others as their immunity system is weak comparatively.
- Kids: No matter how much as moms we try to keep our kids safe and healthy, they are more susceptible to flu for their low immunity.
Severe influenza complications are most common in children younger than 2 years. Kids with chronic health problems like asthma, diabetes, brain, and nervous system disorders are at high risk of developing serious flu complications. I believe this very well answers why friends son who’s got Asthma has frequent bouts of flu.
Dr. UdayAnanthPai – Pediatrician (MD, DCH Distinction) told As April, May, June is the best period to take influenza vaccination for children and the whole family for complete prevention against flu”.
- Pregnant Women: Women who are ready to bring more happiness to your family are actually at high risk of getting flu and can get into the serious problem.
Because of the changes in the immune system in pregnant ladies, they are more prone to flu. Since during pregnancy, one has a limitation on medications to be taken, curing of flu gets difficult. This could lead to further complications with the fetus. As a preventive step, one may take the flu shot right at the preconception stage or at any time during the pregnancy.
Dr. Mukesh Gupta Gynecologist/ Obstetrician, practicing in Mumbai told “Pregnant moms can take influenza vaccine at any time during their pregnancy. It is absolutely safe.”
- Senior citizen: I feel old age is second childhood as kids have very less immunity so do senior citizens too. With heart problems, Sugar and other aging problems they are again most prone to get affected by flu and combat the illness.
How to check you are affected by Influenza- Symptoms of Influenza
Remember precaution is always better than cure. Check out if any symptoms occurring to you or loved ones
- A cough/ a Sore Throat
- A headache
- Running nose
- Body aches
Precautions must be taken for Influenza
- We all learned since we were small to use Handkerchief while sneezing or coughing. So, cover your mouth every time you a cough or sneeze.
- Keep washing your hands with proper soap and water.
- Consult your family doctor about flu and flu vaccination.
To find a vaccinating doctor in your locality, check here:
Flu vaccination is really important to mark yourself and loved ones safe. Flu shots are there to protect you against the infection of Influenza virus. In a year twice new version of the vaccine is developed as Influenza virus rapidly changes. So get vaccinated every year to combat the illness.
As Genelia Deshmukh rightly says “No mother must be a Worrier, she’s a Warrior. Best way to tackle your questions about flu is to talk to your doctor”
For more information visit here.
“Disclaimer: I attended a discussion on influenza awareness facilitated by Abbott IndiaLimited. Any opinion expressed in this blog is my personal opinion and not the opinion of Abbott India Limited. Abbott India Limited does not assume any liability for the content of the blog. The blog post is not meant to be a replacement for a doctor consultation, nor is it a medical recommendation or prescription of treatment for babies having Influenza. Any reader of this
blog or their family members suffering from Influenza should specifically consult his/her doctor for the same and follow the suggested course of treatment.”
Copyright : ©Ruchie Verma
Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this site’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited.
Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Ruchie Verma (WigglingPen) with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.
1,017 total views, 24 views today