Experiencing back pains, especially in the lower portion, has been everyone’s complaint. Aside from aging issues, the daily routine, type of work and lifestyle are some of the factors that contribute to these painful sensations on the lower back.
With regards to the aging matters, the spine undergoes deteriorating fluctuations, that is why people at this point need to consume foods and supplements with rich amounts of calcium and other essential nutrients that can strengthen the bones, especially at the spine. The degenerative variations cause the vertebrae to gain lesser and lesser space, and this is the reason for experiencing pains at the back.
In addition to eating healthy and vitamin consumption, having an active lifestyle and doing exercises and stretching routines can provide a huge effect on the spine because a spine that is always flexed receives more strength and ability to become less loaded.
A study in the University of North Carolina discovered that 80 percent of the people in their study encountered back pains at some time in their lives. This can somehow be a manifestation that every person, regardless of their race and status, experienced back pains and this became a hindrance to their daily functions and routines. That is why knowing ways to relieve back pain must be done in order to lessen the sufferings from it.
Lower back exercises, aside from lessening the pains from this area, can also help in the spine. It also strengthens the stomach, back and stomach muscles. However, it is important to seek consultation to your health care professional or physical therapist before deciding to do these lower back routines, especially for the reason to know how intense the exercises must be done.
Remember that not all of the routines can be good for your back, and ability to know the intensity of the back pain experienced must be recognized first to avoid harmful routines that can worsen the lower back pains. Also, always follow the proper position while doing the exercises to avoid more stress on the lower back.
Here are some of the stretch exercises that can help you to relieve your back pains:
- Partial crunches
This exercise is very safe regardless if you are experiencing minor or acute low back pains, as this cannot aggravate the pain experienced in the lower back.
- Lie down, knees bent while the feet remain flat on the floor.
- Either cross the arms over the chest or put the hands behind the back.
- Squeeze the muscles in the stomach, then raise the shoulders off the floor.
- As the shoulders raised, breathe out.
- Avoid leading the elbows or using the arms to pull the neck on off the floor.
- Hold for a few seconds, then slowly low back down.
- Do this for 8 to 12 times.
2. Hamstring Stretches
- Lie on the back and bend one knee.
- Under the ball of the foot, loop a towel.
- As you straighten your knee, slowly pull back the towel.
- Hold for at least 15 to 30 seconds.
- Do this 2 to 4 times per leg.
3. Sit-up in Walls
- Stand with a distance of 10 to 12 inches from the wall.
- Lean back until the back lays flat against the wall.
- Slide down slowly until the knees are already bent slightly as it presses the lower back to the wall.
- Hold for 10 counts, then slide back carefully.
- Repeat the routine 8 to 12 times.
4. Back Press-up Extensions
- Lie on the stomach, hands under the shoulders.
- Lift the shoulders off the floor by pushing with the hands.
- You can put the elbows on the floor right under the shoulders if possible.
5. Knee to Chest Exercise
- Lie on the back, knees bent and feet flat on the floor.
- Lift one knee to the chest, and keep the other foot on the floor.
- Maintain the lower back to the floor, hold to this position for 15 to 30 seconds.
- Lower the knee and repeat the same on the other leg.
- Repeat this 2 to 4 times on each leg.
Stretch Exercises that Should be Avoided
As mentioned, there are exercises that can be done, and there are those that can bring more harmful effects. For lower back pain relief, here are some that should not be done:
1.Lifting the legs
Especially if lying on the back, this exercise can worsen the pain because it will demand the spine to exert more.
Sit-ups can put more pressure on the spinal discs.
3. Toe touches
This routine can overstretch the muscles on the lower back and hamstrings. Moreover, it also puts more stress on the spinal disks and ligaments as well.
Also read Protein diet
Aside from these mentioned routines and other exercises like aerobics, trying Dr. Ho decompression belt from Halo Health can also bring greater relief from lower back pains. It is equipped with the best-of-technology materials that can bring the best from the lower back.
What is your healthy routine? Do let me know in the comment section below.
© Ruchie Verma.
Copyright: Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this site’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited.
27,606 total views, 1 views today